please stop tickling me

In which we laugh and laugh and laugh. And love. And drink.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Otium cum Dignitatae

Monday, July 11, 2005

Late Night Teevee, and a Question

They run 'The West Wing' around here, from midnight to two in the morning, Monday. On the particular episode I am watching, there is a parenthetical story about a (no doubt) fictional place in Arkansas where they want to replace all laws with the Ten Commandments.
'West Wing' is liberal fantasy, of course. There are (okay, were) three ex-Clinton staffers on the show. It was, regardless of how you feel about that particular administration, a mirror image of whatever is going on in current politics. So here we are these many years later, still talking about this. There were a number of debates regarding the possible role of these ten rather obvious suggestions for how to live one's life, in publicly funded places, recently.
What I said to one of my respondants was, "Well, they've certainly done a fine job of keeping us from killing each other and coveting each others' wives, these last 2000 years."
What I meant was, I'll be okay with hanging them in places that my taxes pay for when the people who claim to venerate them so much agree to live by them. That includes 'Thou shalt not kill', kids.
Not 'except if they're Muslims', or 'when we're at war', or 'with exceptions made for pretty much anything, given political expediency'. Thou shall definitely not.
Don't even get me started about the wives.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

You do realize that the word translated as "kill" really means something more like "murder"?

Otherwise, Oklahoma and the rest of the Bible-thumpin' South would have to rescind the unwritten "He needed killin' " laws.

1:02 PM  
Blogger rich bachelor said...

Yeah, they mentioned that one on the 'Wing', too.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

It's because they're real.

6:07 PM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

The wife loves the West Wing...I watch it occaisionally, but it isn't one of my favorites. It messes with my ability to seperate fiction and reality...
Oh and by the way, No hard feelings. I understood what was up. We are still going to get along.

6:50 PM  
Blogger rich bachelor said...

Good. Glad to hear it.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home