please stop tickling me

In which we laugh and laugh and laugh. And love. And drink.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Otium cum Dignitatae

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Not allowed to Delicious Strawberry

Gum: it pretty much sells itself, so whatcha gonna do with yer advertising budget?



(If I keep this up, I'll need to start a new tag for "favorite gum commercials". Maybe even a tag for 'Trident commercials', specifically.)

There's just something about the advertising industry. Gum, by its nature, isn't really all that exciting, and everybody who was on board with this commercial knows that.
So instead, they made a commercial about commercials. And I am the target audience for this sort of thing.

That ridiculous extreme close-up of the babysitter on the line, "Of course you can pay me with gum!", where her irises actually start to gleam with zeal. Then, the unheralded arrival of various workmen.
And that little easter egg again- for people like me: I had to go back several times to verify that the little girl acutally said the line, "We weren't allowed to delicious strawberry!"

If one were to watch this on teevee, it begins so abruptly that you can't even quite tell what's happening at first. Mom's laughter sounds like screams or cries, and that babysitter sure does seem like she was surprised in the midst of doing something she should not have been: "Mis-ter Jo-nes..."

So it's this weird, perverse, thirty-second thrill ride. Awesome, Trident. I wanna go again.

** ** **

Uh, I have started a blog just for pictures, with no captions or talking about it at all, which is strange for me. It is called Photeaux, and features completely out of order, out of context shots from the digital era in my life. Earlier (analog) shots will be scanned in eventually, and Oh What Fun we'll have then.
For instance, I may very well take a month and just upload all the portraiture I was once so fond of doing. In everyone's case, that'll be pictures of you that are at least ten years old. Prepare to be boarded.

Yeah, another thing that has changed for me is that I no longer wish to title my photographs clever things. Other people do that, and frankly, they can have it. These days I let the image do the talking for me, in general.

My flickr account is flickr.com/photos/richbachelor, and many things can be seen there.

Next time, that Ronnie Milsap show needs discussin', as will the Gladys Knight show tomorrow. Ta.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

There is SO much going on here. They say the word "gum" once, but clearly the point is for people to start thinking about flavors. Gum, one could argue, is not food but just flavor (oh, and cavity inducing sugar). There is enough dysfunction going on in the house, but the two boys outside are even more disturbing. WHY is the femme delivery dude peaking through the window to begin with? Why is the utility guy so distraught and self-loathing? Is there some drama between him and the delivery guy that is beneath the surface. This ad truly has...layers.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, good stuff here. Your Flickr pictures make me ache to get out West. Very nice work. You have inspired me to collect some of my better imagery and get me a flickr account too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/skookumchuck-photographs/

Good to see Bee posting again. I hadn't checked in for ages. It's good getting caught up. I don't know if you guys get email notification when someone comments on past posts, but I've made a few comments.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Rubbly said...

nice photographs! Your camera captures really nice color and that pug is adorable!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Wait...didn't you just create another post of old work IDs...or was I hallucinating again?

11:55 AM  
Blogger colten said...

The little girl actually says, "We want our allowance in delicious strawberry". Then the little boy adds, "And tasty citrus". Not allowed to delicious strawberry doesnt even make sense...

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home